Leadership and Latte Art

I had a job at a Starbucks store as a supervisor for the summer but today was my last shift. As with most of my experiences, I managed to take something away from it; some revelation. Usually it is some metaphysical concept of awakening, self-respect or home that i ponder on these occasions, but this epiphany was entirely different. This brand of satori was more akin to self actualisation.

The job consisted of long hours and travelling back late at night was inconvenient and caused friction between me and my mum. I initially told myself I was doing it for the better money, but soon realised it wasn't really about that at all. This job has given me purpose: I relished being a position of authority where I had a large hand in contributing to the day to day success of the store and I still find pleasure in knowing those I trained are still playing their part in that prosperity. After months of apathy at uni, consisting of laying in bed all day, barely making it to lectures, questioning myself and wallowing to the point of insomnia; I finally found drive, faith in myself and my abilities, structure and routine and a preoccupation that bred positive results for not only myself, but others. I cannot thank the people who hired me enough for seeing, within 15 minutes of my interview, this untapped skill and passion.

Being successful and fostering it in turn has empowered me greatly. I've been out to dinner by myself, independently realised life long dreams and begun to see my life as something with form, with tenure in the scheme of things, not just an abstract jumble of untenable concepts swimming in the oblivion of my own self analysis.

Now when I feel my shame, when I feel inadequate and attacked, I do not realise the falsehood of my crown of decency, as told in my previous post, but in my capacity of good, for success, for talent and passion. I know that,whatever else may be happening in my life, I, and I alone, am building a better version of myself. And my new skill set? Leadership and latte art.

M xxxx


Comments