A sign of absolutely no progress

So I just saw on the news that Mugabe has been voted in again and about the unfair voting system. It reminded me of a poem I wrote in yr 7. A poem from my youth that still has relevance to present events: A sign of absolutely no progress.

Children from other lands poetry competition
age 11

I'm trapped in a one-sided fight
I'm on the side that's losing
On the inside I'm silently screaming
On the out side I can't scream

People are being knocked dead like flies
Black flies
Everywhere trees have human leaves
Hanging from their branches

I want to move away from the smell of lifeless bodies
To a place where I'm not targeted
For my opinion
To a place where peace is achievable

An evil man of chaos
A scar not just in my mind
In the minds of thousands
We don't want it
But it's there
He is there

My parents being tortured
My house burning down
His henchmen
Killing every potential political traitor
That's everyone around

The unwanted person who judges my fate
It's him
It's Mugabe
This is Zimbabwe




M xx

Comments